[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Wed May 18 16:27:55 EDT 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 14:22, you wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > "Sliding slope" argument. Period. We don't have 33% market LET alone
> > the majority. Further, you OVERLOOKED many things that could make the
> > system secure despite it being run as root. For example, you imply
> > that there would be no strict firewall by default. You are only able
> > to look at the FALSE hypothetical situation with current technology
> > that happens to run in your house.
> >
> > Thankfully, you are NOT my admin. Shame.
>
> I've already outlined why running at root is bad, period.  You clearly
> have ignored all of the points that I made that show that I have not
> overlooked the things that could, in your world, make the system secure.
>  - Mike

You add the ", period." Why?
It's not the end of the series of events. What comes next is Jim P. explains
how to overcome the problem you pose. I accept his argument (which seems
obvious and clear) and then you say I ignored it.

   The work of the day is "tacit."

I set up the challenge to deal with the problems you pose (rather than take
the time to argue points and have you ignore those points, like Jim has
patiently done). Bring on your malware. Bring on your data loss.
Bring your run-as-root-is-bad problems . . . to my house.

Don't take it to M$'s house. Don't take it to the hypothetical world where
Linux holds a majority in the desktop market. This isn't about M$ or your
future (that I don't think will even occur). The issue is whether or not
someone can safely run as root (daily, as in habitually) and be reasonably
safe and secure. The conflict is set HERE and now and is Linux-related.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown