[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:33:45 EDT 2005

Marvin Higginbottom, international man of mystery wrote:

> Yes.
>
> My mother and my sister share a computer they use for the various
> internet thingies moms and sisters do, and it's a windows XP box.
>
> Until I set it up so I was the only person with an "administrator"
> account, and gave them "limited" accounts, their computer would get
> hosed with trojans, viri, spyware, and other malware constantly- and
> I had to go up there and fix it for them every few weeks.
>
> Now they have to ask me to install stuff for them, but their computer
>  has been virus/trojan/malware free since I took this step.
>
> And running even a "limited" windows account is way less secure than
> running a linux user account.  There's every reason in the world to
> not run as root (or even "admin" under windows), and no reason in the
> world to justify it, as anything you could concieveably do with your
> computer can be done from a user account- even if you do have to
> occasionally rely of "sudo" or some other form of switching to root
> user to do this or that.

If only there were more people willing to do that for users; bandwidth
net-wide could be saved.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!