[ale] Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 18 11:19:20 EDT 2005

Don't get the 5500, go for the C860 or newer.  The Sharp OS, Linux
based, has Outlook integration with XP but flashing the Zaurus to OZ
requires jumping thru hoops.  Not sure if it works well either.  The
Linux integration is good thru Multisync.  Battery life is good on the
5600 but the C860 is just as good.  The 5500 had poor battery life.  The
C860 has a large battery and with a good wifi signal, I've used my C860
for three hours continuously before and still hadn't lost battery
power.  Web browsing is fine with Opera under the Sharp OS.  Getting
Opera to work under OZ is not as easy but is possible.  Konqueror is
dead for embedded devices and works just okay.  Tends to crash on
complex non standard websites.  The geek quotient is very high for the
Zaurus.  OZ and OpenEmbedded need developers to speed up maintenance of
the thousands of packages available.  You have alot to choose from with
a Zaurus for software to use and projects to work on.  Don't bother with
the 5500 as the  SD card driver is closed source and will never be
updated so is only available under the Sharp OS.  The Sharp kernel is so
mangled that it wasn't acceptable to the kernel maintainers.  The
OpenZaurus project has been dedicated to rebuilding from scratch the
kernel patches and all the applications for the Zaurus.  OZ now has the
latest kernel available for the Cx series plus thousands of packages in
the OE based repository.  Many of the kernel patches are in mainline
now.  The 5600 may get the new kernel by the fall of this year but John
Lenz, the kernel developer, is the only guy working on that hardware and
he has a busy schedule as a student.  The newer models such as C1000 and
C3000 have some support but are in early stages of being hacked.  The
SL6000 has pretty good support like the C700, C760, and C860.
Dow