[ale] OT?: PPPoE Topology

Ian Philpot ian.philpot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:56:52 EDT 2005

First thank you for replying and the link looks like it will be helpful. I
will review that later tonight.

Secondly that topology is pretty dead on.
Firewall(Creating PPPoE connection) > Westell Modem > Internet

As for the modem creating a PPPoE connection, this is not something I have
set up (again I will review the link/pdf for more info). To my knowledge it
sits on the Physical layer and handles transmission. My firewall creates a
PPPoE connection (Layer 2?) to bellsouth branch office. Please correct me if
I am wrong.

--
/ip | http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1739.html

So you have the following setup?

Soho firewall-->DSL Modem-->Internet

?  We'll need more information to help.

For example, which modem do you have?  Older DSL modems (Alcatel Speed
Touch series comes to mind) didn't have a built in router, but the
Westell modems that Bellsouth has been using for at least 3 years now
have a built in router.  If you go into the advanced properties of the
modem, you can change the connection mode to Bridged Ethernet, bypassing
the modem's internal PPPOE "client".

http://www.fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth.net/documents/Westell_Guide.pdf