[ale] lame vbr

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jun 7 11:21:48 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:01, Randy Ramsdell wrote:

> In regards to file size:
>
> I don't think you can change the file size unless you keep dropping the
> quality.

Correct.  Normally I use mp3enc but I have no clue where that program is
anymore.  I'm now forced to use lame.  For most music in my collection
128 ABR is fine.  ABR s better than CBR.  However for "Echos The best of
Pink Floyd" that will be ABR 192 or 256 :).  I'm not sure what limit
there is on the iPod with bitrate.  I do know that on much older devices
of mine 128 was the limit.  After that the sound would basically
hiccup.  I assume the chip inside did not have the power for those
higher qualities.