[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Thu Jun 2 22:44:10 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 08:08 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I concur completely.  As I posted previously, we run 750+ servers on
> > Debian Stable because taht way we don't have to run regression tests on
> > every app every week to keep it "up to date" but we know it's stable and
> > secure, exactly what I want on my server.
>
> I can say the same for SuSE or Red Hat.  The main difference I see is
> how far behind the standard 'stable' Debian install is.  I suspect it's
> more to do with the fact that it's an all volunteer distro, but yet,
> Slackware is ahead of Debian with the packages it provides.

No, it has more to do with the number of architectures supported.  No
other distribution supports anywhere close to the number of
architectures as Debian.  Another issue delaying the latest release was
the development of a new installer which had to support all the
architectures as well as support for multiple languages.

> > On all my home machines I run "unstable" which has had a total of 2
> > "issues" with broken software in 3 years.  Both of those were minor
> > upgrade issues which were easily worked around with a final fix in place
> > before COB.  My desktops and laptops have all the latest bells and
> > whistles and security is still top line, I just get (and have to do)
> > updates more often.
>
> As noted above, I can say the same here.  What's better is I'm running
> the same distro and version on server, desktop and laptop, thus I have
> less to deal with.

With debian it's possible to run the same distro on a Sparc server, a
PowerBook and an x86 laptop (as an example).