[ale] Debian 3.0 as a server platform?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Jun 2 11:05:29 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:24:36AM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Why do you need bleeding edge packages on your server? Do you not
> prefer known working, secure, packages?

There's a vast middle ground between "Debian Stable" and "bleeding
edge".  It's what's known as "useful".

Perhaps I need a feature that only more recent releases of said
software packages support?

Also, it's not "known working, secure, packages".  What you're really
saying translates to: "fairly well known set of unfixed bugs with more
unkown bugs lurking", as opposed to "known bugs fixed with unknown bugs
lurking"

Playing the security card here is nonsensical, as security fixes are
just a special case of unknown bug, and they're fixed post-hoc as they
are discovered.

 - Pizza [Now in four days, that vast gulf shrinks considerably, only to
          grow again as time marches on.  Only time will tell if it will
          shrink again (via another "Debian Stable") before 2007]
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL 					 JID: pitha at myjabber.net