[ale] comcast static IP?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 11:51:21 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:25 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Call Comcast and tell them you plan on using a broadband router with a
> few PC's attached.  See if you have to pay the extra fee.

My experience with them (phone calls, tech visits, friends, business
acquaintances) over the years is that they only care about home
networking when it is their product in side your home.  To Comcast "Home
Networking" is a product (with a deliverable WCG200, same as the one I
bought at CompUSA) not a concept.  Onsite techs will demand a single PC
to use to setup the service, unless they are setting up their WCG200,
after that you are on your own (normal bandwidth usage assumed).

The fact that Comcast will gladly take $5 more per month provides no
validity to the argument.  The issue is can they command $5 more per
month when they are not providing an increase in hardware, bandwidth,
IPs, or services.

Throw Vonage into this mix and all of a sudden everybody has yet another
IP'ed device (assuming non-softphone setup) on their home network.  Is
that a violation of Comcast's EULA?  Potentially depending on your
interpretation of their EULA.  Do I as a consumer have the right to have
Vonage service over Comcast?  Absolutely!, no questions asked.  My sole
point is that the clarity of the later issue supersedes any ambiguity in
the prior.

-Jim P.