[ale] Politics: Senators Clinton and Kerry Submit Open Voting Bill

Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Mon Feb 28 10:39:12 EST 2005

Randal Jarrett wrote:

>Politics: Senators Clinton and Kerry Submit Open Voting Bill
>

>Posted by Zonk on Sunday February 27, @04:15PM
>from the power-to-the-people dept.
>An anonymous reader writes "DailyKos is reporting that a group of
>senators and representatives including Hillary Clinton, John Kerrry, and
>Tubbs Jones, have proposed an 'open-source' voting bill. This bill (The
>Count Every Vote Act of 2005) corrects many of the problems in the last
>election. Notably, it requires paper receipts, and that the source and
>object code of all electronic voting machines to be open and readable by
>the public. " Commentary on the bill available at the Miami Herald.
>

>Randy

Actually, let me add to my first response. I think in addition to a
paper receipt at each each voter should receive a unique transaction id.
The voter should be able to use that id to indivudually verify his/her
vote at a later date via the web. Also, any U.S. citizen should be able
to download the entire vote record (with transaction ids, not names,
addresses, or other voter identification) and verify or analyze the tally.

| D. Alan Stewart                                                      |
| Senior Software Architect                                            |
| Layton Graphics, Inc.                                                |