[ale] Politics: Senators Clinton and Kerry Submit Open Voting Bill

Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Mon Feb 28 10:33:07 EST 2005

Randal Jarrett wrote:

>Politics: Senators Clinton and Kerry Submit Open Voting Bill
>

>Posted by Zonk on Sunday February 27, @04:15PM
>from the power-to-the-people dept.
>An anonymous reader writes "DailyKos is reporting that a group of
>senators and representatives including Hillary Clinton, John Kerrry, and
>Tubbs Jones, have proposed an 'open-source' voting bill. This bill (The
>Count Every Vote Act of 2005) corrects many of the problems in the last
>election. Notably, it requires paper receipts, and that the source and
>object code of all electronic voting machines to be open and readable by
>the public. " Commentary on the bill available at the Miami Herald.
>

>Randy

I think this needs to extend to the voting hardware. The voting machines
should be free for all to manufacture and market. Also, the public
should buy them only from publicly-owned corporations. If services
related to elections and votings are bought by the public, those too
should be only from publicly-owned companies.

Alan

| D. Alan Stewart                                                      |
| Senior Software Architect                                            |
| Layton Graphics, Inc.                                                |