[ale] [OT] Aluminum, Steel or Plastic fabrication for hobbyists?

Preston Boyington preston.boyington at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 13:11:22 EST 2004

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Guys - Do any of you know much about fabricating hobby projects?
> Specifically, I was wondering if there are any places I can go to learn
> about making plastic molds (hobbyist grade), or machining sheet
> metal/aluminum.

Hmmm, are you trying to learn injection type of molding using a pre-cast
model?  How intrecate is the piece?  If it is a complex piece/mold then
I would suggest contracting it out.  There are also questions about what
type of plastic you want to use, but that can be quite involved
(thickness, heat tolerance, etc.) and better left to private discussion.

> Are there classes I could take at the local Uni to learn these
> techniques?  Are there local vendors that will allow me to use their
> tools for a small fee?
>
> Basically, I'm trying to make a part made of plastic, and an aluminum
> (or steel) housing.
>
> I'm trying emachineshop.com right now, but they don't seem to have
> "laser-cut" available for aluminum/steel plates.

personally I think you should look for a ultra-high pressure (UHP)
waterjet cutter in your area.  they cut through aluminum plating like
soft butter.  places like higher end custom rim shops, large sign
fabrication shops may have these.  they will take your design and input
it into a CNC machine and out pops your pieces.

> Does anyone here have any fabrication experience?  Can anyone give me
> any tips / pointers?

email me off list and I'll try and help with some information.

> Thanks in advance!
> -CB

Let me know if I can help.
Preston