[ale] [OT] Aluminum, Steel or Plastic fabrication for hobbyists?

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Nov 28 22:14:20 EST 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 08:28 pm, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Guys - Do any of you know much about fabricating hobby projects? ?
> Specifically, I was wondering if there are any places I can go to learn
> about making plastic molds (hobbyist grade), or machining sheet
> metal/aluminum.

Any Technical College / former Vo-tech school. Hurry, many of the old shop
type classes are disappearing.

> Are there classes I could take at the local Uni to learn these
> techniques? ?Are there local vendors that will allow me to use their
> tools for a small fee?
>
> Basically, I'm trying to make a part made of plastic, and an aluminum
> (or steel) housing.

Most plastic can easily be machind with wood working tools. Aluminum *can*
too... using carbide tipped tools. I would not suggest a novice try this as
there are many safety concerns.

> I'm trying emachineshop.com right now, but they don't seem to have
> "laser-cut" available for aluminum/steel plates.
>
> Does anyone here have any fabrication experience? ?Can anyone give me
> any tips / pointers?

Yes and yes. Marietta Vo-tech machine shop class of 77, 11 years as a
mechanical technician... It would help if I knew what your trying to build
and what kind of neighborhood you live in. There are many creative (and
potentially dangerous!) "home" machining tips that would pointless to share
with an apartment dweller for example.
--
William