[ale] multiple network setups (wireless)?

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Nov 22 13:26:42 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:23:47PM -0500, Jay Loden wrote:
> I have a wireless laptop running Debian (mepis linux, technically) and I use
> it at work/school and at home.   At home, I have no encryption, since I use
> MAC address filtering.
MAC address filtering is ***WORTHLESS*** for security and WEP is not much
better.  Even the Wireless Manufacturers association says to use real
encryption if you care about security.  I.e., use SSH, SSL, IPSec, or
similar.

> At school, however, we have 128 bit WEP.  Does anyone on the list know how to
> get it so that when I boot, it can figure out where I am and configure
> accordingly, or alternatively how I can get grub to boot to a specific net
> configuration?

> I currently just let the network auto-detect fail, then manually run a script
> that sets iwconfig options and then does an "ifup eth0" at the end.  This is
> hackish and while it works, I'd like to find out how one goes about doing
> this the "right" way.  Thanks for the input!

> -Jay

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]