[ale] Linux for "normal" people?

Scott Warfield magius at wittsend.com
Mon Nov 15 10:56:08 EST 2004

Unfortunately, the only reason that I do not use Linux as my desktop is the
lack of true disability integration in many aspects of the system.
Specifically I'm referring to Sticky keys and revearse mouse keys.  I have
also yet to see speech recognition that compares to any of the Windows
implementations.

I type with a point stick, use a custom trackball, and use Dragon
NaturallySpeaking (developer edition).  To this end, I have set up a custom
vncserver on my primary Linux system so that I can use the disability
features of Windows to my Linux box.  I also used extensively SSH terminals
to all my *nix systems.

Now many people will point out that all of these features are available
either through the window manager or X itself, however after attempting to
use these I discovered that they are not implemented very well and I
consider them very buggy.

Perhaps one day I will see a lot of effort put into Linux to support these
features better.  I will change over then.  =P

Long live Linux!

--Scott

Scott Warfield
Internet Security Systems