[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 08:50:57 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 15:33, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Lastly, spend time and $$ on ebay and buy some older hardware for
> solaris, irix and aix systems. Getting a handle on how some of the other
> systems work (or don't work) will really show the strengths of Linux (as
> well as some it's shortcomings)

That reminds me - add to your shopping list a DEC Alpha (don't bother
with a VAX - too big for something with i486 power) that you can put VMS
on (you'll also be able to put Tru64 UNIX or Linux on it).  I think you
can still get "hobbyist" VMS licenses for free.  The file system will
blow your mind; I don't know if anyone else ever had anything as
sophisticated.

Jeff