[ale] somewhat OT: sysadmin must-knows?

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Nov 12 16:14:52 EST 2004

Man, you guys have been amazingly helpful so far!  I will definitely start
looking for a copy of the Purple Book (read: wait for Christmas)!  It sounds
like things like LDAP and authentication protocols of various sorts factor
big.  These are things I havent had a chance to work with yet, becuase the
only admin work I've done so far is standalone servers (ftp, http, samba,
postfix, bind, sendmail).

I spend as much time in Linux environments as possible (Windows is only for
compiling in Visual Studio, and then *only* over rdesktop from my Linux
machines), using various distros, and it sounds like the consensus is "learn
by doing".  I like the idea of setting up a few machines at home to test
stuff too.

Are there any specific tasks that come up all the time that I should know
inside out and backwards?

Lastly, does anyone out there have any other suggestions for jobs besides
sysadmin that would allow me to work with Linux and open source?  I am not
100% dead set on sysadmin work, I just like the concept of going to work
every day and working with *nix systems.  I am not really interested in being
a programmer, though I do enjoy it, it's not something I want to do 40hrs a
week.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

Is it likely that I'll find a place where I can be a "lackey" to an
experienced sysadmin so I can earn my stripes? I have no problem working my
way up from the bottom, I figure my ability will shine wherever I am and I'll
be able to progress.

Thank you guys immensely for the tips and help thus far, it's been very
helpful!

-Jay