[ale] Distro question...

Brian MacLeod bmacleod at guc.usg.edu
Fri Nov 12 09:32:27 EST 2004

Jay,

Since you are familiar with RH, and of course, do not want to spend $$
on an EL license, perhaps you should check out one of the EL clones:
White Box, Tao, CentOS.

I've enjoyed working with my WBEL boxes, almost as much as the RHEL ones
(sorry, but the RHN edges it out, but isn't worth the price of of a
license from RH, either).  I've used a WBEL box to compile .src.rpms for
my RHEL boxes, and I can honestly say I've had no problems with
compatibility at all.

The one caveat to this suggestion is that it does seem to take a while
for a RHEL update to propagate down to the WBEL servers.  Of course,
since you indicated that you are familiar with rpm, you could always
speed that process up yourself by pulling the .src.rpms from RHEL (which
are distributed freely) and building them on your system.

Just a thought...

bnm