[ale] OT: What was once WOPN, now FreeMatrix Radio is alive and growing again

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Fri Nov 12 04:23:14 EST 2004

Hey all,
 This is only slightly off topic, since it does relate to the Linuxverse
(Linosphere?) quite a bit.

 The streaming radio network that was once run by Open Projects, formerly
known as WOPN is back. Thanks to streaming server donations, and the work of
a lot of dedicated and creative people who would just not let the thing die,
WOPN is born again as FreeMatrix Radio. Totally DIY, and all running on
Linux. This project really shows some of the best of what a few people with
a dream and little money can do with Linux based servers and open software.

 Broadcasting 24 hours a day, thanks to an in-house written AutoDJ script
that plays when no one is streaming live, you can listen to Oggcasting all
the time. I've been working with them quite a bit lately, helping to create
new content and bring new music into the playlists.

 We're looking for more volunteers and listeners as we re-grow a fantastic
resource for the Linux community. Anyone who is looking to get experience
working with cutting edge Ogg streaming, or radio work in general is asked
to join us on irc.freenode.net in #freematrix, or #fmradio-dev and make
contact with one of our team. It's a great bunch of people working together
from all over the world. Currently, our largest needs are people capable of
OggJaying scheduled shows, and server owners who are willing to donate some
bandwidth to put their server into our round robin (We currently stream
through 4 servers, we could use several more or, one on a great big pipe).
We hope to grow FreeMatrix into everything WOPN once was, and a whole lot
more.

 We are also seeking PR capable people who would be willing to devote time
to evangelizing the Creative Commons license and working with artists to
release works under their "Some Rights Reserved" structure. This is not only
good for us we believe, but good for open licensing in general. The Creative
Commons is making incredible strides in the public, and you can help push it
to the next level.

 And, finally, my own show, The Revolution, makes it's scheduled debut
tonight featuring 2 new artists licensed under the Creative Commons, as well
as selected tracks from Wired magazine's new Creative Commons CD that was
featured in this month's issue. My show airs at 8pm Atlanta time and runs
till 10, possibly later if there isn't another scheduled show. My show is
dedicated to featuring the best in new music in the Creative Commons arena.

 Listen with XMMS at http://radio.us.freematrix.us:10000/broadband.ogg (or
modem.ogg for a low bandwidth stream). We also believe we are the only
streaming station in existence that is truly interactive, taking requests
and talking back to our listeners through IRC in real time. Making
FreeMatrix truly unique and new. It's the ultimate in geek radio.

 Our site, which is currently undergoing a massive transformation, is
available at http://freematrix.us/

 Come join us and help make this _the_ example of Linux and Open Source
based streaming radio on the net.

Thanks for the bandwidth, hope to see you there.

-Grant