[ale] Distro question...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 12 06:21:24 EST 2004

Mike Panetta wrote:
> I may try it again then.  I am thinking about setting up all
> the machines in my house to use some sort of remote
> home filesystem and LDAP auth to homoginize this mess
> (you almost have to when you have like 6 computers),

Is that all? :)

> and if not for that, for the experience.  Does Gentoo have
> a sort of kickstart feature?  You seem to have alluded to it
> below, but I never saw mention of anything like that.  If it did
> it would be a great way to set up a small cluster of mostly
> similar machines I think.
>
> Another reason I may switch to another distro like Gentoo
> is because I may want to switch from Gnome to KDE.  Gnome
> is starting to feel like M$ software in terms of slowness to me,
> and when I tried KDE on Gentoo it seemed pretty snappy.

Although Novel owns Ximian, they still lean towards KDE as the default,
just a thought.

I really don't think Gentoo is a good solution just yet.  It's still a
bit rough around the corners.  I'd go with one of the distros that has
the nice cd/dvd installs, Red Hat or SuSE.  I think Gentoo is going to
be such a huge change from what you're use to, it could well affect your
progress.

--
Until later, Geoffrey