[ale] Re:

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Nov 10 16:07:50 EST 2004

 wrote:
> Yep spoofing would kill us if we removed all addresses that were
> spoofed.
>
> How about his crazy idea:
>
> <flamebait>
> If Outlook places its name in the header of the email then those
> emails could be sent to /dev/null instead of members on the list.
> </flamebait>

I know of several lists that "outlaw" MS Outlook and Outlook Express.  They scan the headers and look for the X-Mailer (or like) and any with Microsoft reference ("X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange" for example) are returned to the sender with a little note telling the sender to "get a real operating system / email client".  The header scanning seems like a good idea until the MS sender realizes how easy it is to forge the headers or chain their email through a couple of proxys.  Banishing MS clients tends to keep out people that either are new to Linux and want more information, or people like myself that work 14-16 hour days in an environment that only has Microsoft desktops.