[ale] KVM switches

kilpatms at mindspring.com kilpatms at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 26 11:25:17 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm>

I've not used one of these before, so I just wanted to know what to look
for and what to look out for.  My current keyboard is PS/2, mouse is USB.
 My P4 has both ports as does the P2.  The older Pentium 200 is socked
away, so I can't remember if it has USB or not.  Should I get a KVM
switch with PS/2 then, just to be safe?  I have the USB to PS/2 adapter
that came with the mouse.

Trey,
I have used a Linksys 2-port KVM switch for nearly two years now and
it plays nicely with Linux.  It uses PS/2 ports for both mouse and keyboard,
but most newer mice are actually USB criters with an adaptor for the PS/2
port, and I have had no trouble with any mouse I have plugged into it. I know
Linksys also makes a 4-port KVM switch and I would expect it to work as
well as the one I am using.  My one suggestion for KVM switches in general
is to NOT use any extender cables for the video feed. As a rule the inexpensive
KVM switches have light-weight video cables and extending them is just
asking for trouble.

Sean