[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Matthew Magee mnmagee at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 08:17:37 EST 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 06:20 am, Geoffrey wrote:

> I think the three way install was too much.  It was too difficult to
> focus on any one install, much less pick up useful information from all
> three.

I think that we would have been better served by doing the installs before the
meeting.  All three of those distros are designed to be very easy to install,
and one could expect that any difficulty would be due to a glitch rather than
an inherent design flaw in the install process.  With all the machines up and
running, there would be a decent amount of time to compare/contrast the
distros.

Once everybody is in, a poll can be taken to determine the applications that
are important for an average user.  Each distro could be checked against that
list and any strengths or weaknesses would be readily apparent.  All Linux
flavors use roughly the same programs, it's the packaging that makes the
difference in useability.  For example, I have used some distos in which the
default setup gives a right-click menu in the file manager that includes the
options to burn to CD, archive, etc.  All the user needs to do is find the
file(s) in question, right-click, and voila, there's k3b!  This is great
stuff for newbies, and mimics the behavior of that OS from Redmond.  My
RedHat-now-Fedora install did not give me this out of the box, but many
distros do.  Another interesting subject would be the email client.  Most
Windows users use some form of Outlook or OE.  Which distro would make these
folks feel at home?  One last thing here.... I saw that Netzero offers
"connection software" for LindowsOS.  This would be a HUGE bonus to any
non-geek trying to get a PPP connection going.  That by itself could make the
difference b/w the three.  I forgot to mention this at the meeting, and I
apologize for my omission. :(

As for the young lady in attendance, I am surprised she stayed as long as she
did. It was a free-for-all, and historically, women have not fared well in
such environments.