[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 26 09:58:36 EST 2004

Matthew Magee wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2004 06:20 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>> I think the three way install was too much.  It was too difficult
>> to focus on any one install, much less pick up useful information
>> from all three.
>

> I think that we would have been better served by doing the installs
> before the meeting.  All three of those distros are designed to be
> very easy to install, and one could expect that any difficulty would
> be due to a glitch rather than an inherent design flaw in the install
> process.  With all the machines up and running, there would be a
> decent amount of time to compare/contrast the distros.

But the one of the main points was to see how true they were to their
'easy to install' claim.  Xandros, for example, initially proved to be a
challenge for Ray, who is quite experienced with various flavors of Linux.

> Once everybody is in, a poll can be taken to determine the
> applications that are important for an average user.

I agree with this to the extent that I would have liked a follow up
meeting to do the contrast/compare.  I like the idea of the side by side
installs, but I'm just not sure how to present it with out it being chaotic.

> As for the young lady in attendance, I am surprised she stayed as
> long as she did. It was a free-for-all, and historically, women have
> not fared well in such environments.

Likely so.  I think we need to work on this issue.