[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 25 06:23:02 EST 2004

Eric VanWieren wrote:
> This was my first time to go to an ALE meeting, so I thought that I
> would throw my 2 cents in about the meeting.
>
> First off, I have to admit that I made it to the meeting about 15
> minutes late.

So that's what threw everything off?  No wonder it was so chaotic. :)

> Sorry about that. However, when I came in, it was a
> zoo. I do not mind chaos, I actually work better in that kind of
> environment, but this was beyond what I would consider controlled
> chaos.

<snip>

I hear you and agree.  I also agree with everything you else you noted.
   I'll be honest too, it sounded like a good idea to me, but I don't
think it came off as well as intended.  You're not the first to note the
lack of organization in the meetings, and I fault myself as I generally
am running the show, more or less.  I try not to get in the way of the
presenter, but I do see the need for a more organized approach to things.

I think the three way install was too much.  It was too difficult to
focus on any one install, much less pick up useful information from all
three.  I appreciate Dow's efforts to compare and contrast the various
distros as well as his suggestions regarding nmap and such.  He tries to
keep me on task, but I'm not very cooperative. ;)

All in all, I think the three way install was a bit much to expect.
That's why I posted a message inquiring whether folks had an interest in
further presentations on any of these distros, one at a time.

I appreciate your feedback, hope you'll return to the next meeting.
I'll do my best to provide a better organized process.  I think it'll
only make the meeting more useful.

Of course the highlight of the night was Emil's foobar of the root
password. :)  I had to drop that in, as I consider him a friend as well.

I would again like to thank those involved that assisted with this
effort.  It was pretty chaotic, but that's part of the learning too.

I look forward to further feedback from others as well as you Eric.
Thanks again.