[ale] OT: used dsl modems / speakeasy customers in Tucker?

audilover at atlantabroadband.com audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Wed Mar 24 17:15:51 EST 2004

Quoting Robert Story <rstory-l at revelstone.com>:

> My speakeasy DSL has been down for 6 days now, and the finger-pointing game
> continues. So I have a few questions:
>
> 1) I know at some point they are probably going
> to say'it must be the modem', so I'm looking for a speakeasy customer in
> Tucker
> that wouldn't mind me stopping by for 5 minutes to see if my modem can sync
> at
> their house.
>
> 2) And in the event that it does turn out to be the modem, anyone know of a
> source for used modems?  Are they all interchangeable? I doubt they are, so
> does anyone know what kind speakeasy uses?
>
> 3) Speakeasy says I can't cancel my contract without penalty until I've been
> down 60 days, which seems ludicrous.  Anyone know of a way I might be able
> get out earlier?
>

> I never thought I'd miss my Comcast cable modem, but at least there wasn't
> any
> of this finger pointing BS, and I was never down for more than a day..

When my IDSL router decided to join the electronics graveyard, I priced a
replacement through Speakeasy and knew my options were to find a cheaper one or
cancel my service (I had already fulfilled my contract).  I found a replacement
on ebay for $9.  I then purchased another on ebay to keep as a spare in case I
lost the router again.  Total cost with shipping was less than $30.  I'd quess
you can find DSL modems there as well.  When someone changes service from DSL
to Cable or vice-versa they usually don't have a use for the hardware.  Ebay is
where most people go to try to recoup some value from there now unneccesary
hardware.

Ray