[ale] OT: used dsl modems / speakeasy customers in Tucker?

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Wed Mar 24 18:59:18 EST 2004

On 24 Mar 2004 12:34:18 -0500 James wrote:
JPKI> The last no-synch issue I had with Speakeasy was caused by BellSouth
JPKI> f*cking up the connection in their switch. One BS (good acronym) finally
JPKI> got it figured out that THEY had goofed, they put on a fox and hound
JPKI> set, found the correct pair of wires back at the switch and the DSL was
JPKI> on in 30 seconds.

And that was exactly the problem. The first 3 techs kept saying 'you have a
perfectly clean line from the CO. Must be your inside wiring.' (Even when told
the modem didn't work at the NID.).  The second time the MCI tech had to come
out, he got a tech that let him work their way back from my house towards the
CO, hooking up a modem to AC power from his van, until the reached the last
point before the CO. When it still didn't work there, the tech eventually found
a short in the CO.

So after 6 days of down time, I'm back up, with a measly $18 credit for the
outage. I don't even want to think about how much it really cost me in terms of
my time jumping through hoops for them.

The reason I got DSL was because I wanted to move my domains to my house. But I
had heard of reliability issues w/DSL, and I'm glad I waited. I suppose I would
have gotten better response if I had business service, but it's cheaper to use
a provider out on the net.

So, as soon as my term of service is up, I'll be moving back to a cable modem.
The static IP is nice, but not worth the bandwidth reduction and reliability
issues.