[ale] Memory settings/was - Hardware problems continue

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 21 14:51:23 EST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:24:13AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Here are the settings from the Advanced Chipset Features:
>
> CPU External Freq		166MHz
> CPU Frequency Multiple Setting	Auto
> CPU Frequency Multiple		11.5x
> System Performance		Optimal
> CPU Interface			Optimal
> Memory Frequency		By SPD
> Resulting Frequency		200MHz
> Memory Timings			Optimal
> SDRAM Active Precharge Delay	8
> SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay		3
> SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay	3
> SDRAM CAS Latency		2.5T

This is interesting. I just changed Memory Frequency from "By SPD" to
"AUTO". I now have what seems to be more aggressive memory timing
settings.

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay	7
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay		3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay	3
SDRAM CAS Latency		2

The "Resulting Frequency" has also changed from 200MHz to 166MHz. Still
when I boot and read dmesg I still have 333MHz showing up for host bus
speed. Since my bios says memory frequency is 166MHz and Linux says
333MHz who do I trust? Is there a program that will give a result beyond
a shadow of doubt for memory frequency/host bus speed?

Many thanks all,

Jim