[ale] Hardware problems continue on new system

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 21 11:26:44 EST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:57:13AM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> What does the bios say the memory is running at?  I had a similar
> problem with an A7V8x Asus mb.  The main difference between these boards
> is the chipset, and that's quite substantial.  Just the same, I know
> that my board is pretty picky about having the proper memory.  I've got
> two of these boards, one with a 2400xp and the other with a 2600xp (barton).
>
> Since memtest is returning errors, I suspect the memory is either bad or
> improperly configured in the bios.  What speed is the processor set at?
>  If I recall correctly, the 2600 barton is 1910.  Now that may not
> sound right, particularily since my 2400 runs at 2000, but it is.  Make
> sure you've got the proper combination of memory, cpu and settings.  I
> had a heck of a time getting 2600xp to run properly.  The manual for
> that motherboard made if very clear that the mb would only run with the
> right combination of hardware and settings.

Here are the settings from the Advanced Chipset Features:

CPU External Freq		166MHz
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting	Auto
CPU Frequency Multiple		11.5x
System Performance		Optimal
CPU Interface			Optimal
Memory Frequency		By SPD
Resulting Frequency		200MHz
Memory Timings			Optimal
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay	8
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay		3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay	3
SDRAM CAS Latency		2.5T

These settings result in a cpu frequency of 1913.1643 MHz which seems to
be correct from what I could locate. The Optimal settings above are the
bios loads for setup defaults and is supposed to be the most stable.
Memory Frequency is reported by the bios as 200MHz though dmesg reports
the host bus frequency as 333MHz. I have no idea if the memory timings
are correct other than the 2.5 clock latency matches the manufacturers
claim. The motherboard manual is pretty much zero help in setting up for
this (or any) processor.

Thanks,

Jim