[ale] Memory settings/was - Hardware problems continue

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sun Mar 21 15:33:01 EST 2004

http://www.memtest86.com/#trouble

There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems.
Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good.
In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably
at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will
correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with
better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work
with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory
and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.