[ale] Hardware problems continue on new system

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Mar 21 08:53:38 EST 2004

Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	The hardware problems continue on the new system. I am at the
> point of taking the parts out to put my old system back together. As was
> suggested before I removed my scsi card to run memtest86. The results
> were the same - huge amounts of errors at the end of test #5 and beginning
> of #6. At one time it was showing 70,000+ errors after going
> through test #6. I am using 2 512mb sticks and have tried them alone
> with the same results. The memory has been checked by me and another
> member as being supported on this mb. So at this point I would like some
> advice on what to fork out the $$ to replace. This is a system I use
> daily and cannot have down for a long time. The motherboard reports the
> memory frequency as 200MHz? Dmesg returns 333MHz as the host bus speed?
> To me the problem centers around this discrepancy. The bios setup
> indicates that all is set up correctly for the cpu and memory. All of
> these parts are new. My thoughts are a botched mb. I need input from
> those of you more experienced in this area.
>
> Asus A7N8X-X mb
> AMD XP2600 (barton)
> Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 PC3200 DDR
> Sapphire Radeon 9200 agp 256mb
> Enlight 420w ps

What does the bios say the memory is running at?  I had a similar
problem with an A7V8x Asus mb.  The main difference between these boards
is the chipset, and that's quite substantial.  Just the same, I know
that my board is pretty picky about having the proper memory.  I've got
two of these boards, one with a 2400xp and the other with a 2600xp (barton).

Since memtest is returning errors, I suspect the memory is either bad or
improperly configured in the bios.  What speed is the processor set at?
  If I recall correctly, the 2600 barton is 1910.  Now that may not
sound right, particularily since my 2400 runs at 2000, but it is.  Make
sure you've got the proper combination of memory, cpu and settings.  I
had a heck of a time getting 2600xp to run properly.  The manual for
that motherboard made if very clear that the mb would only run with the
right combination of hardware and settings.