[ale] OT: tech support hell at Mindspring--followup

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 21 07:12:01 EST 2004

Okay. I made the switch to Speedfactory...although that wasn't without
incident. At first, I couldn't get my NIC to talk to their modem, no way, no
how. I even tried plugging in the old modem. The NIC talked to it fine. I
even drove out to Speedfactory's office and got them to switch out the modem.
When nothing was working, I decided as a last ditch attempt to switch out all
of the cables, ethernet and phone. Ta da! That did it. The same cables that
worked fine with my other modem wouldn't work with this one. Go figure.
Anyway, it's a big relief not only to dump Mindspring, but to dump PPP and
PPPoE. DHCP is so easy.