[ale] OT: tech support hell at Mindspring

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 23:07:13 EST 2004

I have Earthlink DSL (with a Coyote Linux firewall) and one thing I've
noticed is, about once a month my DSL service will go down for no
apparent reason. When this first started happening (about 6 months ago)
I, like you, started calling customer service and they were reluctant to
help but, I would persist and finally get someone who could talk linux.
(usually after they transferred the call back to Atlanta from India)

It only took me a couple of phone calls (and some looking at my
firewall) to figure out how to resolve the problem consistently. What
I'm seeing on my firewall is, the pppd daemon is crashing for no reason.
(that I can see) The resolution is to: unplug the DSL modem for 30
seconds, plug it back in and let it go through it's startup then, when
it's finished I just start up the pppd daemon and it works well for
another few weeks.

I also talked with my son, who works for Earthlink in the Atlanta NOC,
and he explained the problem as being something to do with "reaching a
connection limit because of stale connections caused by tunnel drop
outs". So, it appears that power cycling the DSL modem and restarting
the pppoe regularly is a good idea. (it helps clean up the stale
connections) This is probably why the Indian on the phone always says to
"reboot everything and call back".