[ale] "What's So Bad About Microsoft?"

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Mon Mar 15 00:31:46 EST 2004

I trust an OpenBSD/Debian patch more as I don't see any agendas to
continually seperate me from my money on their part.  MS however is a
different story, and that is a reason to be wary of the MS patching.
However, that's what I expect from them ...

  OK, that's a
> given.  Linux has virtual desktops.  I have to do upgrades on up to 20
> libraries. Each library requires at least two windows.....
> one for the upgrade and another to tail the results.  No, I don't do all
> at the same time, but I've done 4 at a time.  Do the math.  Not a problem
> on my home pc. Plus, The memory management is a lot better.
>
> Try running THAT many windows under MS.  Works for me under Linux. It can
> take up to 16 windows on 4 virtual desktops to do this.  I've done this on
> a P233 w/64MB without a problem.  Does not work under MS.

No, it doesn't and never will.  I don't think MS ever figured out how to be
conservative with memory (seems to be a Unix trait) and that is why I
haven't bought any more MS products around here.  I use Win2k (pretty
stable - actually the best of the bunch) and Windows 98 virgin (unpatched)
for games and I got my wife on a dual boot also.  She runs Windows 98
unpatched and not networked for her games (updates screwed her system up
terribly - intentionally I suspect) and Debian for everything else. All of
the other servers - mail,dns,SAMBA, everything is a P233 or less.  I guess I
do blame MS for this software/hardware arms race that only serves to fill
landfills with toxic pc components and drain the consumers wallets.