[ale] Adding entry to lilo.conf

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Mar 8 11:09:41 EST 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 12:40 pm, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I currently have both Windows and Mandrake 10 RC-1 installed on my
> > HD using lilo to dual boot.  I have added Arch Linux 0.6 to the mix
> > and want to be able to boot this from lilo.  Before I hose
> > something up, I just wanted to ask the correct way to add this to
> > lilo.  Is it as simple as adding an entry like 'image-/dev/hda9'
> > and 'label="Arch"' to my /etc/lilo.conf.  If I want to access the
> > Arch drives from Mandrake, would I also need to add the entries to
> > my fstab?  Attached are my existing lilo.conf and fstab files.  The
> > Arch root partition is on /dev/hda9.
>
> What's Arch? another linux distro?
>
> Here's the procedure (if memory serves) for booting multiple linuxes
> from one machine. I'll assume you want to do all your configuration
> of lilo and so on on Mandrake (since that's what you already have
> working, that will be easiest.)
>
> * copy your kernel and boot disk image (is that what it's called?)
> from your Arch partition to your mandrake partition. /boot is
> probably the best place for it.
>
> * add an entry to lilo.conf as you have alredy done. Make sure to
> point to the kernel and boot image appropriately.
>
> * run lilo. be sure to fix errors as necessary.
>
> * try booting.
>
> As long as lilo runs without error and you don't change your existing
> setup, you should always be bootable but keep knoppix and/or tom's
> boot floppy handy just in case.

Or, if you mount the arch boot partition wen in mandrake, you can just
point teh lilo.conf file to the kernel/initrd on the arch partition.

For a setup like this I suspect you will be happier with grub instead of
lilo.  You don't actually have to  run grub to put in a new kernel, you
just edit the conf file.  It will simplify your life.  You can switch
to grub with the mandrake control center.

Michael