[ale] Adding entry to lilo.conf

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Mar 7 12:41:33 EST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Trey Sizemore wrote:

> I currently have both Windows and Mandrake 10 RC-1 installed on my HD
> using lilo to dual boot.  I have added Arch Linux 0.6 to the mix and
> want to be able to boot this from lilo.  Before I hose something up, I
> just wanted to ask the correct way to add this to lilo.  Is it as simple
> as adding an entry like 'image-/dev/hda9' and 'label="Arch"' to my
> /etc/lilo.conf.  If I want to access the Arch drives from Mandrake,
> would I also need to add the entries to my fstab?  Attached are my
> existing lilo.conf and fstab files.  The Arch root partition is on
> /dev/hda9.

What's Arch? another linux distro?

Here's the procedure (if memory serves) for booting multiple linuxes from
one machine. I'll assume you want to do all your configuration of lilo and
so on on Mandrake (since that's what you already have working, that will
be easiest.)

* copy your kernel and boot disk image (is that what it's called?) from
your Arch partition to your mandrake partition. /boot is probably the best
place for it.

* add an entry to lilo.conf as you have alredy done. Make sure to point to
the kernel and boot image appropriately.

* run lilo. be sure to fix errors as necessary.

* try booting.

As long as lilo runs without error and you don't change your existing
setup, you should always be bootable but keep knoppix and/or tom's boot
floppy handy just in case.

	bjorn