[ale] dell laptops

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri Jun 25 10:18:04 EDT 2004

Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I've had some of the older models in the past, nothing new in the last
> 1.5 years.  I've been very pleased with how they hold up and how they
> perform, under windows or Linux.  Haven't had one die yet that wasn't
> directly my fault (Laptop+16oz Sweet Tea=paper weight).
>
> Robert

i know we had some (older) models that the plasic around the screen would crack in the hinge area.  also we had some trouble with the fans cooling (actually had faulty fans on two of our five that were replaced).  also the things got hot if you used them on your lap.

i think they have fixed these problems in current units, but if you are buying used search around for comments on your particular model.

i remember we used red hat on them with no real problems.

Preston