[ale] Permission hell question

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri Jun 25 10:55:27 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:
> Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 24 June 2004 07:46 pm, Robert Heaven wrote:
>>> There's also the possibility that the zip drive is being mounted as
>>> "read only".
>>
>> This got me close to what may be the underlying problem Thanks.
>>
>> Upon looking further, I discovered that the zip drive itself (hdd4)
>> had these perms:
>>
>> brw-------    1 kilpatms disk      22,  68 Jan 30  2003 hdd4
>>
>> I have changed that to read brwxrwxrwx (777)
>>
>> But that has not solved the underlying problem of changing
>> the perms on the files on the zip platter. when I try to
>> run the command
>>    chmod 777 /misc/zip/Scripts/wake/*
>> the OS tries to chmod each file and reports back "operation not
>> permitted" for each one. The actual error mesage is this:
>> chmod: changing permissions of `wake1.sxw' (requested: 0777, actual:
>> 0770): Operation not permitted
>>
>> And, yes, I am running the chmod command as root.

i thought i saw that you were using drag/drop.  if you are using Konqueror then can't you "right click" on the zip drive and change the permissions in the property box?  i think there is even a box to check that will also change all the files to the same permissions as the folder (it's been a while since i used this so i could be a bit off).

that's an easy way to see the owner/group and underlying permissions in plain english.  possibly not your problem, but maybe worth a look.

also, you might want to check into using rsync to do the copying/backup to your zip disk.  you can pass arguments to it so it will keep your permissions etc. and that way you can verify that the data (your script) is "good" on your backup.