[ale] linux infrastructure advice, opinions, suggestions

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 20:58:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 19:45, Jay wrote:
> What is distcc?  I'm not familiar with that...distributed computing
> cluster?

Distcc is a loosely coupled clustering mechanism specifically for
aggregating computing power for compiles.  It is mentioned in the Gentoo
Installation Handbook.

> And how is gentoo on a fairly new Linux user?

Rough!  But, the things you'll learn!  Gentoo is a "metadistribution"
based on a source code control model called Portage, which was adapted
from the BSD ports system.  I think it's worth doing, even for a
newbie.

> I've heard
> good things, but I'm a relative newcomer to Linux.We've got a bunch of
> old PIII machines floating around, since the University replaces all the
> desktops after 3 years, and they are in fact running a linux cluster for
> the physics department, which is great, and I'm hoping to seize some of
> the other free machines for my linux lab project.

Grab as many as you can!  Whereas you can do Gentoo installs working
entirely from source, almost entirely from pre-built binaries, or
somewhere in between, a lot of the day-to-day updating and adding of
software will involve compiles.  A distcc farm set up as a standing
resource wouldn't be a bad thing to have around.  I deal with Gentoo so
much here at the house that I've got one 1GHz T-bird doing distcc duty
and I plan to have some more machines to throw onto the hamster wheel in
the near future.

> What sorts of things with file serving might we be able to make good use
> of at the school?  The only thing I can think of that we use file
> serving for currently is the student storage drives.  Any other things
> you can think of that would be really cool or useful to serve to the
> general student population?  I'd love to come up with anything that we
> could do to prove how valuable this could be...my boss did exactly that
> with the email spam filters, by setting up two PIII machines to do the
> job, then telling them he needed to buy real servers, or take his
> computers back home with him and lose the spam blocking they were all
> enjoying...

The school's library probably has a number of CD-ROM-based things lying
around that people can only use by taking hold of the platter and
stuffing it into a CD-ROM drive, one machine and user at a time.  If the
licensing permits, you can copy those to drive space and share them
out.  There may be little videos and stuff.  I used to do this kind of
stuff all the time when I've run file servers in an organization.  Oh,
and don't forget to serve up Linux distributions!