[ale] linux infrastructure advice, opinions, suggestions

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Jun 17 19:46:31 EDT 2004

What is distcc?  I'm not familiar with that...distributed computing
cluster?   And how is gentoo on a fairly new Linux user?  I've heard
good things, but I'm a relative newcomer to Linux.We've got a bunch of
old PIII machines floating around, since the University replaces all the
desktops after 3 years, and they are in fact running a linux cluster for
the physics department, which is great, and I'm hoping to seize some of
the other free machines for my linux lab project.

What sorts of things with file serving might we be able to make good use
of at the school?  The only thing I can think of that we use file
serving for currently is the student storage drives.  Any other things
you can think of that would be really cool or useful to serve to the
general student population?  I'd love to come up with anything that we
could do to prove how valuable this could be...my boss did exactly that
with the email spam filters, by setting up two PIII machines to do the
job, then telling them he needed to buy real servers, or take his
computers back home with him and lose the spam blocking they were all
enjoying...

I'm also thinking of some ways we might be able to use Linux to help
mitigate the virus outbreaks and such on campus.  We get hit pretty hard
by sasser/blaster/welchia and so forth due to stupid computer users, and
I was thinking maybe we can find a way to use Linux to help with that?
Just an idea, not even fully formed, I'm hoping someone can suggest some
more specifics that might help shape it into something useful.

-Jay