[ale] OT - Hobby - Breadboard Kits

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:05:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:50:29AM -0400, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> Ok, this is very OT, but I don't know of anywhere to go that I could get
> better advice.

This is a perfect question for the sci.electronics.basics newsgroup.

>  I have to get a hobby (long story, we'll just leave it
> at that), and I've been searching for something that can keep my
> attention.  I've got some background in electronics (Army, and DeVry),
> and really enjoyed tinkering with little breadboard kits.  I've not done
> anything with them since, but would like to (this could be my new little
> hobby).

Be careful. It can easily become your new BIG hobby.

>  Anyone else into this,

[Hand raised]

>  and able to suggest anywhere to purchase the little kits?

Radio Shack used to be a great source for the X-in-1 kits that mounted
discrete components with spring terminal contacts. The more advanced ones
(100-in-1 to 300-in-1) had displays, radio gear, and the like.

>  It would probably be a good plan to start out small
> (until I get over my fear of signs that say "Warning 10,000 Ohms"), and
> build from there.

I wouldn't be too worried about 10000 ohms. 10000 volts however.... ;-)

>  I saw an episode a few months (may have been years,
> don't really remember) on The Screensavers where they were all building
> these little kits, and it's been a background process of mine ever
> since.  Eventually, I'd love to get to building little [useless] devices
> that I could operate via the serial port on my *nix box (ok, now it's
> maybe not TOO off topic B) )

You're now moving into a different area, and a better one IMHO. I firmly
believe that microcontrollers are the linchpin of small electronics projects
for the forseeable future. I believe that you can learn the basics of how
they work pretty easily, then leverage the knowledge over many projects. Also
because it's programmed in addition to being wired, you have the versitility
and the flexibility to augment existing projects and try out new projects
using the same infrastructure. I'm a fan of the Microchip PIC microcontroller.
And the best part is that it won't break the bank. Individual chips of the
smallest size (8 pins) are approaching the $1 mark. And Microchip is in the
process of releasing a line of 6 pin parts that'll actually cost less than $1.
But even the most hefty of their parts is less than $10 each.

The problem is that the infrastructure is the problem. It's a problem that
I've been working on sproadically over the years. Most of my PIC development
tools and projects are posted here:

http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys

Everything I use is Linux based and Open Source. One day I'd really like to
spend the time necessary to clean up my hybrid compiler, bootloader, and
programming software and produce a toolset that anyone can use. But like
many things in life it'll have to wait for another time.

If you decide to go the microcontroller route, let me know. I may be able to
help a bit.

BAJ