[ale] OT - Hobby - Breadboard Kits

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 17 20:09:00 EDT 2004

<snip>
> You're now moving into a different area, and a better one IMHO. I firmly
> believe that microcontrollers are the linchpin of small electronics
> projects for the forseeable future. I believe that you can learn the basics
> of how they work pretty easily, then leverage the knowledge over many
> projects. Also because it's programmed in addition to being wired, you have
> the versitility and the flexibility to augment existing projects and try
> out new projects using the same infrastructure. I'm a fan of the Microchip
> PIC microcontroller. And the best part is that it won't break the bank.
> Individual chips of the smallest size (8 pins) are approaching the $1 mark.
> And Microchip is in the process of releasing a line of 6 pin parts that'll
> actually cost less than $1. But even the most hefty of their parts is less
> than $10 each.
>
> The problem is that the infrastructure is the problem. It's a problem that
> I've been working on sproadically over the years. Most of my PIC
> development tools and projects are posted here:
>
> http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys
>
> Everything I use is Linux based and Open Source. One day I'd really like to
> spend the time necessary to clean up my hybrid compiler, bootloader, and
> programming software and produce a toolset that anyone can use. But like
> many things in life it'll have to wait for another time.
>
> If you decide to go the microcontroller route, let me know. I may be able
> to help a bit.

I second the PIC,  It is a fun hobby.  I recently started fooling around with
them, less than 2 months.  I'm now working on my first full project.  IR
Remote->PS/2 Port converter.  It's for my mythtv box, but that's another
topic.  It leverages electronics along with programming.  What more can a
geek ask for as a hobby.  :-)

Calvin...