[ale] Scalix

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 17:34:42 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 15:53, Mike Millson wrote:
> I have been looking for a linux based Exchange server type solution that
> I can use w/ Evolution. Here are the requirements:
> 1) Runs on Linux.
> 2) Evolution integration.
> 3) Web based access.
> 4) Synchronization of email/calendar/contacts when accessed from
> different computers.
> 5) Turnkey solution.
> 6) Does not have to be open source or free.
>
> Maybe this is what I have been looking for? Cost is $60/user.
> http://www.scalix.com/news/release10.html
>
> Anyone using Scalix or have anything to say about it?
>
> It is based on HP OpenMail, same as Samsung Contact, I believe. Not sure
> if this is a good thing or bad thing.
>
> There may be other solutions. Here is what I have investigated and why I
> think it won't work for me (someone please let me know if I have
> anything wrong below):
>
> 1) Oracle Collaboration Suite: No Evolution connector and no plans to
> build one.
> 2) Suse OpenExhange: According to the link below, Novell is "developing"
> a connector for OpenExchange, so it's not there yet.
> http://www.novell.com/products/evolution/features.html
> 3) Samsung Contact: No Evolution connector.
> 4) SquirrelMail: Not turnkey. Requires an IMAP server to run on top of.
>
> Am I missing anything?

Yep. SquirrelMail _is_ turnkey. Load it up, turn it on and it works.
Every Linux distro ships with an IMAP server. SquirrelMail is easily
installed on any Linux server (there are RPM's, DEB's and tarballs).
It's a simple matter to setup the IMAP server (turn it on in xinetd.d).
The biggest hassle is setting up PHP. Since it can be installed by
default from the distro CD even that is easy.

So the pieces you will need to use SquirrelMail are:
SquirrelMail itself
Apache
PHP
IMAP server

I would also recommend some of the other add-ons that are listed on the
SquirrelMail website. In particular, the Calendar tools are needed to
have the group and private calendaring you want.

Currently, there is no good group calendaring tool that interoperates
seamlessly with Evolution other than MS Exchange, Samsung Contact and
both require the Ximian Connector.