[ale] Scalix

Mike Millson mmillson at meritonlinesystems.com
Mon Jun 14 15:54:30 EDT 2004

I have been looking for a linux based Exchange server type solution that
I can use w/ Evolution. Here are the requirements:
1) Runs on Linux.
2) Evolution integration.
3) Web based access.
4) Synchronization of email/calendar/contacts when accessed from
different computers.
5) Turnkey solution.
6) Does not have to be open source or free.

Maybe this is what I have been looking for? Cost is $60/user.
http://www.scalix.com/news/release10.html

Anyone using Scalix or have anything to say about it?

It is based on HP OpenMail, same as Samsung Contact, I believe. Not sure
if this is a good thing or bad thing.

There may be other solutions. Here is what I have investigated and why I
think it won't work for me (someone please let me know if I have
anything wrong below):

1) Oracle Collaboration Suite: No Evolution connector and no plans to
build one.
2) Suse OpenExhange: According to the link below, Novell is "developing"
a connector for OpenExchange, so it's not there yet.
http://www.novell.com/products/evolution/features.html
3) Samsung Contact: No Evolution connector.
4) SquirrelMail: Not turnkey. Requires an IMAP server to run on top of.

Am I missing anything?

Mike