[ale] linux recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 22 12:03:06 EST 2004

james at sumners.ath.cx wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:28:34AM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>I know very little about apt. Does apt have a gui interface?  Does apt
>>have a search ability?
>

> Sure, there are plenty of gui interfaces for apt. The best pointy clicky
> one is Synaptic (which I am trying to force myself to use more often).
> Also, I have found that it is easier to search your apt-cache that it is
> to search for random RPMs --
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/apt-cache.8.html

Yast does much more than 'search for random rpms.'  From the interface,
you don't even know you're dealing with rpms.  For example, you can
enter the term 'browser' and it will find what you're looking for.

A novice is not interested in package management, regardless of how
critical it is.  A novice simply needs to be able to install the
software they want to use.

--
Until later, Geoffrey