[ale] linux recommendations

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Dec 22 11:54:57 EST 2004

On 22 Dec 2004, at 11:28, Geoffrey wrote:

> I can easily say the same for SuSE.  There is nothing easier than SuSE
> YAST.  You can search by all kinds of criteria.  Further with a
> purchase of SuSE 9.2 personal or pro, you get user manuals.

I've never worked with YAST and with SuSE only on an introductory level.

> I know very little about apt. Does apt have a gui interface?  Does apt
> have a search ability?

James Sumners got the gui interfaces bit (which is good, because I
didn't know of any). It does have a search capability (apt-cache
search).

The lack of a GUI interface shouldn't be a problem as the OP was
looking for a solution for remote management which in my mind implies
command line (yes, yes, X11 forwarding exists... but really... ew).