[ale] linux recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 22 12:08:02 EST 2004

James Baldwin wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2004, at 11:28, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> I can easily say the same for SuSE.  There is nothing easier than SuSE
>> YAST.  You can search by all kinds of criteria.  Further with a
>> purchase of SuSE 9.2 personal or pro, you get user manuals.
>

> I've never worked with YAST and with SuSE only on an introductory level.

You can search the following criteria:

Name, Summary, Description, Provides, Requires.

Further you can specify the search mode as:

contains, begins with, exact match, use wild cards, use regular expressions.

I've not seen any package management system that is this flexible.  This
is just the software install portion of yast.  It's a unified system
management system.

> The lack of a GUI interface shouldn't be a problem as the OP was looking
> for a solution for remote management which in my mind implies command
> line (yes, yes, X11 forwarding exists... but really... ew).

Yast works both in X11 and a terminal.

--
Until later, Geoffrey