[ale] XFS multi-mount

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:07:52 EST 2004

Attriel,

I assume you know that what you are doing is simply not supported by
most filesystems, right?

The "correct" thing to do would be to try a cluster filesystem.

For what you describe, I think GFS from Redhat or OCFS from Oracle
would be the best GPL choices.  Both are designed  to have multiple
nodes accessing a common shared storage array.

Unfortunately neither of these is likely to be as fast as XFS.

I would check out OCFS first.  It has some short-comings (no locking,
no acls, etc.),  but I don't think you need those features.

If you need XFS, you could also try mounting with the sync flag.  That
tells xfs to keep the servers write buffer flushed to disk at all
times.  Unfortunately, the sync flag really slows down XFS's
performance.

That would fix your write caching issues.

As Dow said, it is your read cache that is likely the real difficulty.
 Maybe you could post on the XFS list and someone could tell you of
way to invalidate all the read cache pages, thus forcing a physical
read.  If that could be done every 30 seconds or so, it might work for
you.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer