[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Dec 1 17:04:51 EST 2004

over the course of a winter, sand and salt accumulate on the roads, so
one doesn't necessarily need to salt or sand a road that has been salted
or sanded lately to keep up with a light snowfall.

Once it snows enough to cover the road (as opposed to it falling and
melting on an already salted road), they have to run around and plow,
and they add more salt to keep the water left behind from freezing again.

Of course, if its cold enough, salt doesn't help enough, and sand is
used more, but conditions get more treacherous.

Also, outside the rust belt, salt is used a lot less (mostly because its
too cold for salt to help much of the time there). That's why people in
places like N. Dakota need snow tires a lot more than people in Mass.

Why does it suck here? I've lived here all my life, except for a few
years in Boston at college. Its purely the novelty of it: "hey look! its
snowing." This causes an interesting herd mentality thing. Its mostly
just the routine being disrupted. You see the same thing at rush hour
the first Monday evening after the fall time change. "Hey look, its dark
out!". And that rush hour is always about the worst of the year.

Mike

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070