[ale] OT: Driving in snow...

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 1 16:30:40 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> This ex-Bostonian says:
> New Englanders have inherent advantages:
> snowtires (or studs or chains)
> [on their tires not on their bodies...]
> and well sanded roads.
> Otherwise "equal abilities".
> -Brian

Point taken, although I don't think it fully explains the situation. FWIW,
in six years of winter driving in NE, and another in Ohio, I have yet to
purchase snow tires, or studs. A friend of mine gave me chains once, but I
lost them the first time I used them.

As to well sanded/salted roads, the roads aren't generally prepared ahead
of the snow, yet you don't see as much craziness at the beginning of a
snow in the NE as you do in this region.