Simple steps Re: [ale] Another SSH Release?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 17:38:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:32, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:54, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you're using the RH init script? I routinely restart ssh
> > remotely (/etc/init.d/sshd restart) on RH boxes w/o issue. I did that for
> > all my RH boxes yesterday, for example...
> >

> Well, I don't really know what the rpm did because my ssh session was
> truncated so suddenly.  In this case I did a "rpm -Uhv openssh*.rpm"
> which covered openssh-clients, openssh, and
> openssh-server.  I have no idea what order they were processed, I do
> suspect that all sessions were killed by one of the first 2 rpm, and
> that openssh-server was the last rpm to be installed.  I further suspect
> that killing my ssh session also caused "rpm -Uhv ..." to cancel....
> thus leaving me where I am today.

Jim, that doesn't sound right. I have updated ssh*.rpm through an ssh'ed
connection and the connection stays up for the entire time. I have also
done a /etc/init.d/sshd restart over a ssh connection and it also stayed
up during the process. I have even done a remote /etc/init.d/network
restart through a ssh session and the connection goes dark when the ethx
I am on goes off and the connection comes back up when the ethx
connection I am connecting to goes live again. It sounds more like yo
got bit by a gremlin that cause the session to die in the middle of the
rpm -Uvh .